Private Day Trip from Rome to Orvieto and Civita di Bagnoregio
The enchanting town of Civita di Bagnoregio sits atop a vast hill, offering unparalleled vistas from the vantage points of Bagnoregio. Famously dubbed the “dying city” by writer Bonaventura Tecchi, it teeters on unstable tuffaceous terrain, threatened by the constant erosion of the vast clay banks beneath. Civita di Bagnoregio feels like a timeless village, accessible only on foot via a concrete bridge made for its few inhabitants and global visitors. Positioned on volcanic soil, it appears as a red tuffa stone island amidst a sea of white clay badlands, presenting a truly lunar landscape. The East Cliff offers views of the “Jumpers”—gigantic natural clay walls and remnants of an ancient erosion process.
Post your visit to Civita di Bagnoregio, you’ll head to Orvieto. Known for its magnificent “Duomo”—a pinnacle of Italian gothic architecture—it showcases a medley of arts: from mosaic patterns to bas-reliefs and frescoes by Signorelli and Beato Angelico. Orvieto, an ancient Etruscan capital, beautifully blends its medieval history. Its streets are adorned with ancient churches and the warm hue of tuff stones. As a former Papal city, it houses the fortress and the famous St. Patrick’s Well. The latter is an Italian phrase pointing to a vast, mysterious reserve. Some believe the term “is like St. Patrick’s Well” denotes a futile endeavor, as it never seems full.
|Pax/adults||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7|
|Option||Driver only, Official Guide in Orvieto 2 hours|
- Pickup from Rome Hotel
- 2-hour stop in Orvieto
- Lunch at a local restaurant
- Visit Civita di Bagnoregio
- Return to Rome Hotel
Duration: 8 hours
Your driver will collect you at 8 am directly from your hotel in Rome City Center, Rome, RM, Italy.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport in a private Mercedes vehicle
- Professional English-speaking driver
- 8-hour car availability
- Bottled water
- Meals and beverages
- Entrance fees for museums/Cathedrals
- Licensed professional guide ( IF NOT SELECTED)
- Airport/port pickup and drop-off
- Visits to other destinations
- Dates on the Booking Form Calendar that are NOT Selectable, ask us for availability
- Civita di Bagnoregio entrance need to pre-booked on your own
- The tour provides an English-speaking driver who is not a licensed tour guide.
- Guide Option is availability IF SELECTED will be with you in Orvieto only